Use our contact form to email us or ...
||07 46347568 AH
||07 46320439 BH
We regret to announce that as of September 2008 we are no longer available for performances due to many members leaving the region. We would be very happy to receive your emails about gamelan in general, and we redirect you to the 'links' page for information about other gamelans in Australia and overseas.
Membership is open to all members of the community of any age or
musical background & tuition is available to new members. The
membership base continually changes as members move to new jobs
or study outside of Toowoomba etc. so there is always the opportunity
for new members to learn & perform the music.
As the group is a non profit organization no payment is made to
members except for reimbursement of expenses. All monies raised
from performances, membership etc. go towards the clubs expenses
such as insurance, council rates for the club house, maintenance
of the instruments etc.
Membership fees are $20 per year ($10 students/unemployed) &
a rehearsal fee of $2 per week goes towards the general expenses
of the club house.
Rehearsal times are generally
Thursday 5.30-7 pm
Sunday 10.30 am -12.00 pm
Rehearsal are held at 3 Cress Street Toowoomba at the Gamelan's
club house which was purchased in 2000 and renovated by club members.
Benefits of membership.
Following are some quotes from members from a survey asking 'What
are the main reasons you have for being involved with Gamelan Giri
- 'Love of Music"
- 'Strong connection with Balinese culture '
- 'Social Interaction'
- 'The joy of being involved in a performing group'
- 'Sense of achievement'
- 'The chance for my daughter to be involved with music'
- 'Sense of community involvement'
- 'Share culture of Bali with others'
- 'Friendship with like minded people'
- 'Opportunity to continue contact with Balinese people &
culture while in Australia" (Balinese member)
- 'Interest in Indonesian culture'
- 'Sounds & rhythms have taken up residence in my blood stream'
- 'Gamelan is a friendly, social, humorous gathering of people'
- 'The folk within the Gamelan reflect the nicest qualities of
decency, generosity, & honesty'
- 'Opportunity to not only perform at festivals but to enjoy
the other music e.g. Woodford Folk Festival'
- 'The absolute joy & adrenalin rush which comes from playing
in front of a large appreciative audience'
- 'The satisfaction that comes from playing to a high standard
after hours and hours of rehearsal'
- 'The many opportunities to enjoy Indonesian food that come
from connections with other Indonesians living in Australia'
- 'The satisfaction that comes from teaching new members the
necessary skills to be part of the performing group'
- 'The chance to have many contacts in Bali to make trips there
even more enjoyable'